Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sardines


Aiyoyo! That's me and Patrick in 1972. Back then, we had just shifted to Block 7 Margaret Drive. Life was tough for we had to squeeze our family of 9 in this 1 room 1 hall rented flat. The scenario was beyond words. Looking back, I wonder how we managed to survive those poverty years.
My late father hardly earned enough money to feed us. We are very grateful to have our eldest brother Thomas and sister Jessie who supported the family. To ensure our survival, they gave up their education reluctantly and went out to work at a very young age.
I promised myself that my children do not have to live like 'sardines' like us. Thank God that they each have an air-con bedroom with a queen size bed at a young age. I sincerely hope they treasure the luxury blessed upon them. As for Patrick, he is doing well and living in a private apartment.

No comments: