Thursday, June 14, 2007

Army Daze








Where am I? Make a guess...


I was called to serve the nation in 1979. It was a privilege to be among the few Chinese in the Malay platoon during my recruit days. We were confined for the first 2 weekends. Discipline was strict and we were punished should one of us make a mistake. As a result, we were forced to work as a team.
Those days we had only 2 public phones to call home. (Handphone was non- existent) Imagine the queue........ calls were allowed only after eight in the evening. I queued for an hour just to talk to my mum for 3 minutes. Sigh!
I did not need an alarm clock as my platoon mates would wake everyone up after their morning prayer. Surprisingly a few of them were able to fast through the Ramadan month ( prior to Hari Raya Puasa) despite the tough regimental training. Salute!
We had gone seperate ways upon our Passing Out Parade. Doubt we can recognise each other even if we cross path today. Everyone has matured and prospered i.e. grow old and fat. Haha......

No comments: