Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thaipusam 2008



We would like to wish our Hindu friends 'Happy Thaipusam'.

My late father brought me and my younger brother to the Tank Road Temple to watch the procession of this festival many years ago. I must be somewhere about 8 years old. I was fascinated by those devotees carrying the kavadis. From then on, I have the tradition of watching the celebrations annually. There were few years where I missed the procession due to work. I felt so sad.

I went down to the temple after work today. It gave me a 'high' to watch those devotees dancing with their kavadis on and to the beat of the Indian drum and music. I admire them for their faith, devotion and spiritual strength. They started their journey from Serangoon Road and walk all the way bare footed to Tank Road. When they reached the temple entrance, they danced all the way into the temple to pay their respect and give thanks to Lord Muruga for his blessing. Mission accomplished. Congrats!





No comments: