Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Music speaks









The music in me is inborn. I learned to play the guitar when I was in Primary 4. That Congress guitar belonged to my eldest brother, Thomas, who played in a chinese band. Years later, I was influenced by Francis into heavy metal.
In 1975, I was introduced to Peter Lim who taught me classical guitar. My proudest moment came when I mastered the guitar plucking for Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. It was in that year that I developed complete feelings for music. My guitar spoke for me and I wrote the song Broken Man. Together with Peter, Dong and Patricia, we participated in the 1st Singapore Song Writing Competition organised by Yamaha but didn't go far.
I brought my music to the Poly campus and army camp too. The big joke came in 1980 when I was made a drummer for my platoon band in my battalion anniversary. I dropped the stick when I rolled the drums during rehearsal. LOL. Luckily, everything ended well.
To date, I have 2 guitars at home. One belongs to Fyn. Both Smily and Fyn are drummers too.
Guess they have my gene.
P.S. Peter Lim migrated to Tasmania in the early 90s and passed away in 2002.

No comments: